The chorister program is a partnership between the Cathedral School and Christ Church Cathedral (next door). It is modelled on similar programs in the UK, which have been successfully enriching the lives of young people for hundreds of years.
Apart from giving children an immersive experience in singing, music theory, history, and leadership, choristers also receive a generous tuition discount, subsidized piano lessons timetabled into their school schedule, and pocket money for attending morning rehearsals. Choristers rehearse four mornings per week before school and regularly sing Evensong on Wednesdays after school. There are no weekend commitments.
- To provide choristers with a world-class musical education
- To create a challenging and supportive atmosphere conducive to hard work, focus, fun, and reward
- To foster mentorship between older and younger choristers, and supportive relationships between peers
- To cultivate the joy of learning and discovery in each chorister
- To deliver excellent music in cathedral services
- To promote the Anglican Choral Tradition within the wider community
To learn more about admission to the program or to arrange a consultation, please contact Donald Hunt, Director of Music, Christ Church Cathedral at firstname.lastname@example.org
We wish to thank the Anglican Foundation of Canada, The Barraclough Foundation and the NRS Foundation through the Victoria Foundation for their generous support of the young Choristers of Christ Church Cathedral, a fully immersive program of choral music education for children, based at the Cathedral School.